Thursday, October 25, 2007

I don't really have too much to report from my side of the pond but I wanted to share with you all this little jem that I learned last night in one of my classes.

In England they call bachlorette parties "Hen Parties." Yes, that's right. As in a chicken. Our topic for the night was Special Occasions and I was asking them to give some examples of special occasions. After one student said a funeral was a special occasion (seriously, she did) another student said "Hen Parties." At first, I didn't think I had heard her correctly so I asked her to say it again. Yup, she had said Hen Parties. I just started laughing because I had no idea what a Hen Party was but it sounded hilarious. They then explained to me that it is what we call a Bachlorette Party. I could not stop laughing. I probably laughed for a good 2-3 minutes. Then I asked what they call Bachelor Parties and in England they call them "Stag Parties." I've always thought that the Brits were crazy but now I'm completely convinced.

Oh, and they also call silverware "cutlery."

Sometimes I feel like I should be sitting in a desk and not standing at the front of the class.

Also, for all of you who don't remember what San Sebastian looks like or have never seen pictures, I will post some below. I haven't taken too many photos since I've been here only because I have about 500 photos of the city already. This past weekend I did take a couple photos and I'll get them up here ASAP.

Ok, so apparently it won't let me up-load any photos today so I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

No comments: