Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Address and other things

Before I forget I want to post my address here in Spain. It is:

Season Westover
C/San Lorenzo 12
3 izda
Donostia-San Sebastian Spain 20003

Please feel free to send me letters, cards, photos, care packages, whatever. I honestly don't even care. I just like getting mail.

Next, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has been reading this blog and checking it daily. I was a little hesitant about it at first because I didn't know if anyone was really going to be interested. But I have received many e-mails instructing me to up-date the blog so I will try to be more diligent about it.

Last Friday night I had dinner with my friend Ainhoa (ex-professor) and 6 of her friends. They get together once every couple weeks to have a girl's night and she invited me to join. It was a lot of fun to meet all her friends and see a different aspect of her life. All the women were so nice and friendly. There were about a million (or so it felt) conversations going on at the same time and I did my best to keep up with them all but it was no easy task. It definetly challenged my Spanish skills and I felt I was able to keep up for the most part. We just talked and ate and drank wine and it reminded me of dinners with my girlfriends. Oh, and there was this girl there named Ana that reminded me so much of my friend Molly Conklin (shout out!). She looked like Molly (I think it was the eyes) and talked like her and they have the same goofy personality. It was kinda freaking me out...but in a good way. But as much fun as I had on Friday night it really made me miss my girlfriends back in the States. Just to be able to have that connection and comfort around someone is a precious thing.

Then on Saturday afternoon I finally moved in to my new apartment. Ainhoa helped me carry my two incredibly heavy suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. I don't know how I always manage to find the apartments without an elevator but I did it again. I un-packed most of my things and tried to get as settled as possible in my new home. I really like the apartment. My room is a little small but I just think of it as quaint and all my own. I'll get some photos taken as soon as I get a chance, which means as soon as I get all my laundry done and everything organized.

Saturday night I invited two new friends over for dinner. Their names are Gesse and Mylene. They are both in the same program and Mylene teaches French at the same school in Irun. Gesse is from Seattle and is teaching English in a small town outside of San Sebastian also. I had talked to Mylene before coming to Spain through E-mails and then we met in Madrid. Gesse I met in Madrid and have become good friends with her also. We just had a small impromtu dinner at my house Saturday night and spent lots of time getting to know each other.

Sunday was finally a beach day!!!!! It wasn't exactly hot outside but warm enough to head over to the beach and enjoy the sun. It was the first time we had been to the beach because it has either been raining or we have been doing something else that has prevented us from going to the beach. I don't know if we are going to get many more beach days but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Today we had to go to Bilbao for a course about teaching a foreign language. It was very boring and didn't apply to me at all. It was centered around people that are going to be working with children or high school age kids and since I am teaching mostly adults, it wasn't exactly the most exciting class I have taken. The professors at my school have prepared everything for me and all I really have to do is show up and excute the plan. But after talking to other language assistants, it seems like I have it made in the shade. Some still don't even have a place to live or haven't even been able to contact their schools. I feel very lucky that I am at the school in Irun and that all the professors have taken care of me so well.

Thursday we are going to Vitoria (the capital of the Basque Country) for a reception welcoming all the language assistants. I'm not really looking forward to it either but at least this time I get to go with the other professors from my school. Then next Monday (October 15) I start classes for real. I am really looking forward to that and being able to get to know my students better and helping them improve their English skills.

I think that's all for now. I promise to be better at up-dating this blog. I just discovered that the public library has free wireless internet and it's only a 3 minute walk from my house so I will be here more often. And I'll get some photos up ASAP.

Take Care. Lots of love to everyone!

No comments: